How We Can Help

Meet the team

Jean Hobson
Information, Advice and Support Service Manager

Alistair Hines
Information, Advice and Support Officer

What we do

The Information, Advice and Support (IAS) Service for Windsor and Maidenhead (formerly the Parent Partnership Service) provides:

• a free and confidential service, provided at “arm’s length” from education, health and care providers;
• impartial information, advice and support relating to special educational needs and disability (SEND);
• advice and support from independently trained Information, Advice and Support (IAS) Service staff;
• support through the statutory processes relating to Statements of Special Educational Needs and the new Education Health and Care (EHC) needs assessment and planning;
• information and practical support to find the answers to your questions in relation to education, social care and health services.

Who we can help

We are here to provide information, advice and support to:

• parents or carers of a child or young person with a disability and/or special educational needs;
• parents or carers who are worried that their child or young person has, or may have, special educational needs;
• if your child has questions, we can help them too;
• young people aged 16-25 who have a disability and/or special educational needs.

Our service is for people who live in the Royal Borough of Windsor and Maidenhead (RBWM). We can help whether your education is within the borough or elsewhere. If you do not live in RBWM, but need support, we can put you in touch with your local IAS Service.

How we can help

We aim to provide you with help that is right for you. This may include:

• listening to your views and concerns;
• helping you feel more confident to express your views;
• explaining your options, rights and responsibilities;
• help with forms or writing letters and reports;
• help in preparing for meetings and/or attending meetings with you;
• answering your questions about Statements of Special Educational Needs and Educational Health and Care (EHC) Plans;
• supporting you through a needs assessment or review;
• putting you in touch with a trained Independent Supporter;
• support to resolve disagreements.

Independent Support

Independent Supporters are now in place in RBWM to help parents and their children, and young people aged 16-25, entering or transferring to the new EHC system. Independent Supporters are independently trained and can offer support and advice during an EHC Needs Assessment, including those undertaken as part of a Transfer Review, through to the completion of an EHC Plan.

Independent Supporters are provided by the IAS Service and by our local delivery partner, Adviza, which has been appointed by the Council for Disabled Children to deliver Independent Support in RBWM until March 2016.

If you would like an Independent Supporter to help you, please contact the IAS Service on 01628 683182 or via this link.